Aches and Pains
Acupuncture can be helpful for many different common health problems. Patients have reported success with treating a wide variety of pain problems, musculo-skeletal problems, digestive issues and general health complaints.
Furthermore, evidence for the use of acupuncture with certain symptoms has been sourced from systematic reviews carried out by The Cochrane Collaboration. These studies have concluded that there is some evidence acupuncture may have a positive and beneficial effect on the following conditions:
- chronic lower back pain
- tension-type headaches
- nausea and vomiting after chemotherapy or surgery
- neck pain
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Pain such as back pain can affect a wide range of people and can happen for a variety of reasons. It is the most common reason for work-related absence and affects 1.1 million people in the UK. Acupuncture is endorsed by NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) in the use of lower back pain.
Research has shown that treatment with acupuncture for lower back pain is significantly better than no treatment at all and is as good as, if not better than standard medical care (British Acupuncture Council 2015).
Why not book a free consultation to have an informal chat and see whether acupuncture could work for you? Book online or phone Louise on 07789 076410.
References and Helpful Links
- British Acupuncture Council (2015) Back Pain. Available: here.
- Cochrane Collaboration (2015) Our Evidence [online]. Available: here
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence clinical guideline 88 – Low back pain. Available: here
- The NHS Choices site mentions acupuncture being recommended by NICE : Click here to read more
- BackCare is a national charity that aims to reduce the impact of back pain on society by providing information, support, promoting good practice and funding research. Click here to read more